Roots is looking for a part-time worship leader!
Find the job description below or download a PDF.
Please email cover letter, resume, faith statement, and sample of work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Open until filled
Are you a singer and musician who loves Jesus? Do you have a gift for leading others into worship? Are you excited about the idea of being part of an intercultural church in the heart of the city? If so, apply for the part-time worship leader position at Roots Covenant Church in Saint Paul. We’re looking for someone to join our community of misfits, to help lead us toward what it can look like to adore God in Spirit and in Truth.
ABOUT ROOTS COVENANT CHURCH
Roots is a new church between the Midway and Frogtown neighborhoods of St. Paul, MN. Economically, ethnically, and culturally diverse, we seek to invite misfits to experience new life by becoming a new people rooted in Christ, who passionately love God and purposefully seek the renewal of our city. Learn more at http://rootscov.org or on social media (@rootscov).
Our weekly worship gatherings are held in the gym at Central Lutheran School in Saint Paul. Our worship sets usually contain a combination of old and new songs, gospel songs, songs in English, Hmong, Spanish, and other languages, and a variety of volunteer musicians who rotate in and out of the worship team. Our theology and faith practices are rooted in the Bible and centered on Jesus. To learn more about our denomination, the Evangelical Covenant Church, check out: http://www.covchurch.org/who-we-are/
THE WORSHIP LEADER WILL…
- Lead the worship team using a range of musical styles (from contemplative to upbeat)
- Lead a team of volunteers for weekly worship team and special music
- Recruit, train, and coordinate worship band and A/V volunteers
- Schedule and run rehearsals
- Setup and tear down equipment
- Encourage Roots community members in creativity, expression, and a deepening connection with God through worship and other arts
- Provide a godly example through servant leadership
- Regularly pray for volunteers
- Select songs aligning with sermon message for each week
- Provide song lyrics to PowerPoint team
- Check in weekly with lead pastor and others, as needed
- Document volunteer roles, song choices, procedures, and other information using Roots processes
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Committed follower of Jesus
- Alignment with core values of Roots (see http://rootscov.org/about/)
- Previous experience as a member or leader of a worship team
- Ability and interest in learning and leading songs in languages other than English (do not need to have bilingual speaking competency)
- Previous cross-cultural or multicultural experience strongly preferred
- Experience in mobilizing and leading a team
- Willingness to collaborate with other Roots leaders
- Must pass a criminal background check
Skills and knowledge
- Strong singer & musician with keyboard or guitar proficiency
- Able to read chords, with at least a basic knowledge of music theory
- Knowledge of a wide range of Christian worship songs, both historic and contemporary
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work collaboratively in a start-up culture with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Strong interest in a variety of musical genres and styles including gospel, jazz, and folk
- Clear communicator with high attention to detail
- Confidence in leading others in prayer
- Ability to work well with other instrumentalists and vocalists
- Self-directed, takes initiative to plan worship and try new things
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage time well
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Google Docs, ProPresenter, or capacity to learn
Compensation: Stipend of up to $800 per month (depending on qualifications)
Hours: Approximately 12 hours per week
Start date: Immediately
Length of contract: Negotiable, subject to renewal
If invited for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide and/or perform a musical sample.